Thursday, March 14, 2019

Blog Post 9 - Identifying Desired Results

Related image


The theme for my unit revolves around comprehending and interpreting texts (approaching texts as a reader). My goal is for students to be able to analyze what they are reading. When looking at a text analytically we are breaking it apart not only to understand what the writer has provided but to take it further by interpreting what the writer wanted us to learn beyond the text. This skill is useful in all aspects of life, no matter what profession one decides to pursue; being able to understand what we are reading is the first key to being successful.

When I was working as a Title I Reading Para, students would often fuss about having to be in our reading groups. The number one complaint was that they didn't like to read, it was not for them. When faced with these situations, I would always ask them what their favorite subject in school was. Some would respond with Math or Science, to which I would remind them that in order to complete a word problem in Math, we needed to decipher how we need to solve it and that took comprehension in reading; or with Science we need to be able to read and understand the steps we need to follow in order to complete an experiment. If we do not understand what we are reading then we cannot fully apply ourselves in the subjects that we do enjoy. Of course there was always a couple that would respond that they didn't even like school and just wanted to stay home and play video games. I actually loved that response since majority of them enjoyed RPG's which require reading of the story line and mission; to which I would ask: isn't it a lot better to be able to understand what your mission is when you are playing your game? How much longer would it take you to get to the next level if you are not clear on the directions? This always got their attention and made them receptive to wanting to work on their reading skills. 

In looking ahead, I want my students to be able to read a contract as an adult and fully understand what they are signing; looking beyond what is written and what can be interpreted differently so that they do not sign something they will later regret. Of course, considering the grade level I will be teaching, my students will have quite a ways before they reach that stage in their lives. So my overall goal is to prepare them for their higher education by providing them with the skills to interpret a text, whether it is in an educational setting or personal life. 

3 comments:

  1. Lisset,
    I feel like this is totally we something we still use an adult. We are always trying to break down information and understand what we need to know from the text. I also used to work for title one! I loved working for Title! I totally agree that we need to understand what we are reading, I have noticed that a lot of students have lower comprehension scores on exams and map testing. I love how you have a plan for your students beyond just you! I think because you care enough about you futures students this will not only make you a like able teacher but also a wonderful teacher!!

    Awesome work!!
    Abagail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisset,

    I love this post, it made me laugh! I enjoyed your examples that you told students and explanations on why students truly need to know how to read in order to do anything. That is so true! I think reading is so important for students and I wish that when I was younger I had teachers who made reading more fun and explained why I needed to excel when reading a little better.

    Great Post!
    Rylee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you want them to analyze, so be sure that this is an important part of your daily reading. I love it when the teacher wins.

    ReplyDelete