Thursday, January 31, 2019

Blog Post 3 - Unit of Instruction


Related image
A Unit of Instruction consists of several lesson plans that revolve around particular standards and skills that we want our students to learn. Each lesson plan within the unit includes goals, objectives and teaching strategies to help our students understand and learn the material.


I pride myself on my organizational skills, so I think I will do well with the overall planning of the lesson and gathering of materials. I've been fortunate enough to have been in a position in which I have had to put together lesson plans. However, these were not done the traditional way as I did not receive the proper training. But I did have a basic template to follow and this was very helpful in gathering the proper information needed to complete my lesson plans.


The most challenging part for me will be finding elements to include that will actually make the lesson fun and engaging for all. I feel that this will vary depending on the overall dynamic of the students in the classroom. Sometimes, what may be fun and engaging to one group of students, may not work for another group. Finding that happy medium that will work for most would be my ultimate goal. I don't want my students to memorize the material, I want them to learn it and be able to apply it to real world situations.

2 comments:

  1. Lisset,

    I think it is so important to be organized as a teacher, especially when planning a lesson. I too have to be organized with everything. I think the lesson plan template that we are using for our project with be very helpful. Finding that happy medium that is fun and engaging for all of your students may be difficult. I too worry about that,I want all my students to be excited to learn what I have put in so much time and thought into. I have a feeling that this wont happen all the time, but all we can do is do our best! Good luck with planning your lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisset,
    I really enjoy how you use pictures in all of your post! It brightens up the question. I have written many lesson plans as well. Normally in schools, the school does not require full traditional lesson plans. I honestly do not like that we have to formalize our lessons. Some of it becomes so jumbled, and so over organized. I think that sometimes with teaching working on the fly works best. It all should have structure but following it bit by bit much to me personally. Best of luck writing your lesson plans!
    Abagail

    ReplyDelete